"The Holy Ghost Warns
"...the Holy Ghost can help you by warning you in advance of physical and spiritual dangers....
"As you heed promptings from the Holy Ghost—impressions most often quiet and still—you may be removed, without ever knowing, from spiritual and temporal danger....
"The Holy Ghost Comforts
"To continue answering the question 'How does the Holy Ghost help you?' let’s now explore His role as Comforter. Unexpected events in all our lives cause sadness, pain, and disappointment. Yet, amid these trials, the Holy Ghost serves us in one of His important roles—as Comforter, which is actually one of His names. These peaceful, reassuring words from Jesus Christ describe this sacred role: 'I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever' (John 14:16)....
"The Holy Ghost Testifies
"The Holy Ghost also testifies and bears witness of the Father and the Son and of all truth. The Lord, speaking to His disciples, said, 'But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, ... he shall testify of me' (John 15:26)."
- Gary E. Stevenson, "How Does the Holy Ghost Help You?," General Conference, April 2017
Click here to watch or read the full talk
Using personal experiences and insights, Elder Stevenson taught about the roles and blessings of the Holy Ghost in our lives. He emphasized three roles: The Holy Ghost warns, comforts, and testifies. For each of these three areas, he shared personal insight and experience from his life.
In concluding his remarks, Elder Stevenson reminded all listeners, whether newly baptized or long-time experienced in the Gospel, how crucial it is to retain the gift of the Holy Ghost as an active part of our lives, to both physical and spiritual safety. Keys to doing that include:
- striving to keep the commandments
- having individual and family prayer
- reading the scriptures
- seeking loving and forgiving relationships with family and loved ones
- keep our thoughts, actions, and language virtuous
- worship our Heavenly Father in our homes, at church, and, whenever possible, in the holy temple
- stay close to the Spirit, and the Spirit will stay close to you